Cannabis and hemp have been used by humans for centuries for everything from clothing to medicine to food. Nowadays, strains are often genetically modified to optimize the experience, but with so many choices, it’s easy to get lost.
At Premium Seed Market, we are here to bring you high-quality seeds to fulfill your cannabis needs. Before we get into hybrids, let us start with the fundamentals: landrace strains.
What is a ‘landrace’ strain?
Landrace strains are the original species of cannabis and hemp plants and are considered the ‘purest’ strains, although they have evolved over thousands of years. They have not been cross-bred, and they are able to optimally grow only in areas of certain climates.
Because of this, many landrace strains are named after the region in which they are indigenous. Landrace strains are used to create countless hybrid strains, but the number of landrace strains is unknown as they were not included in botany records due to illegality.
Getting your hands on landrace strains is much more difficult than acquiring hybrids because it is more difficult to mass-produce them, and some modern growers prefer hybrids so they can curate their various effects.
However, landrace strains can still be found in the wild, and there are cultivators that continue to maintain the integrity of landrace strains. To get the best of both worlds, you can order landrace-dominant seeds from our store!
What are some examples of sativa landrace strains?
Sativa is known for bringing a range of cerebral effects to its user – from euphoria to creativity. The majority of sativa strains are from Asia and North Africa because of their tropical climates. The enjoyable effects meant the plant was spread around the world.
Here are some examples of sativa landrace strains:
- Acapulco Gold from Mexico
- Lamb’s Bread from Jamaica
- Panama Red from South America
- Thai from Asia
What are some examples of indica landrace strains?
Indica is known for providing relief and relaxation to its user. The majority of indica strains are from mountainous regions such as Central Asia. Because they live in rougher terrains, indica plants usually bloom faster than sativa plants.
Here are some examples of indica landrace strains found in Afghanistan:
- Lashkar Gah
Which landrace-dominant strains can I find at Premium Seed Market?
At Premium Seed Market, we offer our customers several landrace-dominant strains. Here are just some of them and what you can expect:
- Pineapple Express: A sativa-dominant hybrid produced by crossing the landrace strain Hawaiian and the hybrid Trainwreck – provides energizing effects and has a delightful citrus aroma.
- Trainwreck: A hefty sativa-dominant hybrid produced by crossing the landrace strains Mexican, Thai, and Afghani – provides a euphoric feeling and has a piney aroma.
- Northern Lights: An indica-dominant hybrid produced by crossing the landrace strains Afghani and Thai – known to provide relaxing effects for the muscles and the mind.
- Strawberry Cough: A ‘mysterious’ strain thought to be a mix of hybrids Haze and Strawberry Fields – known for its sweet strawberry aroma and energizing properties.
- Skunk #1: A mega-hybrid of landrace strains Afghani, Acapulco Gold, and Colombian Gold that became the blueprint for hybrid strains.
- Original Blueberry: An indica-dominant hybrid produced by crossing the landrace strain Thai and hybrid Purple Thai to bring euphoria and relaxation with a sweet aroma of blueberries.
In conclusion, landrace strains are untouched by humans, which allows them to grow and evolve naturally. While growing hybrids allows for the cultivator’s creativity, to grow landrace strains is to continue the epic legacy of centuries of cannabis cultivators.
*Always consult a physician before making any changes to your health or fitness regimen.*