Although Premium Seed Market is based in Oregon, we have countless satisfied customers growing cannabis at home in Colorado. In this blog, we will discuss the history of cannabis in the Centennial State, the basics of CO’s personal cannabis cultivation laws, and the essentials of setting up a home grow.
Colorado Cannabis History
Cannabis was banned in the state of Colorado on March 30, 1917. Twenty years later, cannabis was first federally banned in 1937, just shy of a century after it was introduced to the Americas.
After decades of demonizing the use of cannabis, Colorado decriminalized the possession of cannabis of up to one ounce. Slowly but surely, by the beginning of the 21st century, more and more states were open to legalizing marijuana for medicinal purposes.
In 2000, Colorado followed the lead of California and became one of the first ten states to legalize medical marijuana. However, in 2012, Colorado took the lead and became the first state to legalize recreational use, along with Washington.
The Basics of Colorado’s Personal Cannabis Cultivation Law
Before you get your grow on, it’s important to get your learn on. Knowing your state’s personal cannabis cultivation law will give you peace of mind and avoid unnecessary consequences.
Firstly, only Coloradans 21 or older are permitted to grow cannabis for their personal use. Per state law, each residence is allowed up to 6 plants, with 3 of them flowering at once.
Furthermore, your cannabis plants must not be visible and must be in an enclosure. If there are people living in your household who are under 21, the home grow must be in a separate area under lock and key. Your home grow must also be locked if/when you have visitors under 21 in your home.
Lastly, your home grow flower is intended for your own personal use and is not allowed to be sold. Only businesses with marijuana licenses are allowed to sell cannabis. You are allowed to give up to 2 ounces of cannabis to another person over 21, but you are not allowed to receive any monetary reimbursement.
Setting Up A Home Grow: The Essentials
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to start setting up your home grow. A home grow can cost you anywhere from a couple hundred dollars, to over $1000. It all depends on what you want in your setup.
However, to get you on the right track, here are some essentials for your home grow:
- An area dedicated to growing: Many home growers use a grow tent, which is easy to set up and take down.
If you have the space in your household, you have the freedom to set up an area wherever you’d like.
- Grow light: If you’re growing indoors, grow lights ensure that your plants are getting the correct amount of light that your particular strain needs. Plants need 18-24 hours of light a day when in the vegetative stage and 12 hours a day when flowering.
The amount of light triggers each stage, so it’s important to make sure that you are deliberate in your lighting. You can purchase timers to make sure that you don’t forget to turn on/off the lights.
- Climate control gear: You need something to maintain the optimal climate for your particular cannabis strain. This can be fans, ACs, heaters, or dehumidifiers, depending on the temperature and humidity that already exists in the grow space.
You also want to make sure you have tools to measure the climate, like a thermometer and a hygrometer.
More Factors to Consider
- Plant containers: The type of containers you use will depend on your plant and the grow medium.
To prevent root rot and allow the best environment for your plants, consider the following when choosing a container:
- Drainage – it needs enough drainage to prevent root rot, but not so much that it loses the water before the plant can use it.
- Oxygen – it needs enough airflow to provide oxygen without overexposing the plant.
- Space – it needs to be big enough for the roots to stretch out during growth.
- Grow Medium/Nutrients: There are many grow medium options to choose from when setting up your home grow, so be sure to do your research.
This is also true for the wide variety of nutrient products available on the market.
- Cannabis seeds or clones: This is where Premium Seed Market comes in!
We offer a diverse array of top-quality seeds, both landrace and hybrids, to help you grow top-quality cannabis.
Premium Seed Market — Offering the Finest Genetics At Affordable Prices!
Setting up your own home grow is a rewarding experience that comes with a lot of initial planning. With that being said, if you have the right guidance and tools at your disposal, you’re in great shape.
If you want extra support getting started or want to know more about our seeds, feel free to send us a message, and we will do our best to point you in the right direction.
*Always consult a physician before making any changes to your health or fitness regimen.*